One of the challenges of owning a creative business is that you don't have the luxury to wait for inspiration to hit. The daily grind of running a business or responding to client requests, can wear on a person and make their passion seem more like a chore. But inspiration is all around us. Sometimes, we just need a reminder in order to see it. Read on to get a dose of inspiration and a sprinkling of motivation to get back out there and love what you do.
Inspirational Photography Quotes to Get You Into a Great Mindset
How do you view your business? Your art? How do you view the world? Your mindset is one of the largest indicators of whether or not you will be successful in business and in life.
The following quotes help us remember what's truly important, and overcome blocks that may be standing in our way.
1. "When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear" -Alfred Eisenstaedt
Everyone faces fear at some point in their life. The question is whether you allow that fear to control your decisions, or whether you stand up to it and keep moving forward.
Your photography is your link to everything great. The way you see the world, is your greatest gift. Cultivate it and share it with others.
2. "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." -Henri Cartier-Bresson
When you are just starting out, it's easy to get caught up in the comparison game. You see seasoned photographers and think "I'll never be that good". Just remember that you are always learning, always growing, and always improving.
Malcolm Gladwell suggests that 10,000 hours of deliberate practice are needed to become world class in any field. Whenever you feel like you'll never be enough... just keep shooting.
3. “A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective.” -Irving Penn
As a photographer, as a salesperson, as a human being, your job is it elicit emotion. Your photos should tell a story and resonate with your audience.
Whether you are marketing a brand or just sharing your work with the world, the more emotional connection and engagement you make, the better.
4. “To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” -Elliott Erwitt
Some of the most extraordinary photos, the ones that live on for generations, are of ordinary subjects. When you capture the essence of everyday objects and average people, striking photos are born. View the world as though everything is beautiful.
5. "Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything." -Aaron Siskind
More important than our history books, photography captures emotions, stories, and moments in time that can't be explained with words. As a photographer, you are responsible for recognizing and protecting the moments that need to be remembered.
6.“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
Being a photographer isn't just spending thousands of dollars on a camera and then hoping something shows up that you want to shoot. It's being committed to your craft.
Learning everything you can learn, seeing what the average eye doesn't see, setting up your shot to tell the story you want to tell, and then doing the necessary edits to create the finished product you are looking for. Practice your craft and your hard work will pay off.
7. “The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do.” -Andy Warhol
The only constant is change. Our lives are always in flux, loved ones coming and going, moments happening that we will never experience again. Photographs allow us to save a snapshot in time and remember people long after they are gone.
As a photographer, it is your responsibility to recognize beauty, capture moments, and emotionally affect those who view your work. Find the inspiration all around you and whenever you need a quick pick me up, refer back to a quote that resonates and motivates you to keep going.